Sunday, October 13, 2013

DIY Laundry Soap Revised

For almost two years now I've been making my own
laundry soap and fabric softener, it has saved me a
lot of money and it gets the job done like any store
bought products do if not better. ;-)
My sister got me started, she made a batch for her
family and shared a gallon with me...from there I've
tried different recipes and tweaked them until I found
the one that worked for my family.
I've blogged before on how I make it BUT I had to
revise it just a bit.


All the recipes I found use a
five gallon bucket, I don't
have room for one so I cut
it down to two jugs.
My washer is small so I wash
2-3 loads a day, and my
soap lasts me for about four
months using 3/4 of the cap full.


"Two Jug Laundry Soap"

4 cups boiling water
1/4 bar Fels-Naptha
4 Tbsp. Borax
4 Tbsp. Washing Soda
2 Tbsp. Oxi Clean
4 Tbsp. Purex Crystals
2 Jugs (2.34qt) reusable

I grade my lil' piece of soap bar
and add it to the boiling water
stir until all the soap is melted.
Add half everything to the two jugs;
 2 Tbsp of Borax, 
2 Tbsp of Washing Soda, etc.
Once the soap has melted I
add half of it to my jugs,
shake a little to mix everything.
Then I fill with hot water half way 
(about 4 cups) give it another
good shake and let sit over night.
It will gel up and you take a 
spoon and stir really good
and add more water to fill jug.
Before every use give it a good shake.

No comments:

Post a Comment