Friday, September 28, 2012

History in the Barr Home

Never did care for History when I was growing up, had to sit and read all by myself
and so I didn't learn too much of it...which I regret, BUT Lord Willing not for my
kiddos. I wanted a History book we could ALL enjoy together, so after much
searching and reading reviews I found "The Mystery of History" by: Linda
Lacour Hobar. It has lessons for the younger, middle and older students which
makes it an A+ in my book. We are enjoying it, I tweaked it to fit our best schedule
and that's the beauty of homeschooling right? :-)

Getting the lessons ready
 
First, we do a week of History then the next week we do Science (plan to blog of
that soon) this has worked well for us so we've stuck to it.
Then, our "timeline"(the time period of that thing or person, like "Creation 4004
B.C.") has to be small for NO room in the camper, so I've gone through the book
and picked out just specific things/people to put on the "timeline", and we put ours
as a banner hanging across the window.
 
Working on our timeline
 
Our banner timeline
 
And we may take a day and just work on specific things as Art, like the study of the
"Stonehenge" I even got my kindle out and looked up pictures for us to admire.
I'm still in awe over these giant rocks they moved without machines...
So, how do y'all study History?
 

 Making our own Stonehenge
 


No comments:

Post a Comment